U.S – Mid America Pet Food has issued a voluntary recall of three lots of Victor Super Premium Dog Food, Select Beef Meal, and Brown Rice Formula after a third-party random sampling found that some products associated with these three lots have tested positive for Salmonella contamination. 

The recall, confirmed by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), was initiated to prevent potential health risks to consumers and their pets. The company provides that, as of this announcement, no human or pet illnesses related to this recall have been reported.

The affected products were distributed to various distributors and retailers nationwide. 

It’s important to note that this recall is not connected to the previous Mid-America Pet Food recall for Salmonella on September 3, 2023. 

Salmonella is a bacterial pathogen that can potentially harm both pets and humans. For animals, it can lead to gastrointestinal issues, making it essential to keep a close eye on your pets if they have consumed any contaminated products. Symptoms in animals may include diarrhea, bloody diarrhea, fever, vomiting, and lethargy.

Humans can also be at risk when handling contaminated pet products, mainly if they do not thoroughly wash their hands after touching the affected items or any surfaces they have come into contact with.

Common symptoms for humans infected with Salmonella include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, abdominal cramping, and fever. 

In some cases, Salmonella can lead to more severe health problems, such as arterial infections, endocarditis, arthritis, muscle pain, eye irritation, and urinary tract symptoms. If you or your pets exhibit any of these symptoms after contact with the affected product, it is crucial to seek immediate medical attention.

It’s worth noting that even otherwise healthy pets can become carriers of Salmonella, potentially infecting other animals or humans.

For pet owners whose animals have consumed the recalled products and display the symptoms mentioned above, contacting a veterinarian is highly recommended.

To ensure the safety of their customers and their pets, retailers, and distributors have been advised to remove the recalled lots from their inventory and shelves immediately. These products should neither be sold nor donated.

For all the latest food safety news from Africa and the World, subscribe to our NEWSLETTER, follow us on Twitter and LinkedIn, like us on Facebook and subscribe to our YouTube channel.